skip to content
 

German Department History - Schröder Cup discovered

Schröder Cup

Following a chance discovery of old documents in the Modern Languages Faculty it has been possible to trace the Schröder Cup. The handsome silver cup is dated 1910 and was given to the first Schröder Professor, Karl Hermann Breul, by colleagues, friends and former students to mark his appointment to the Schröder Chair of German after 25 years of service to the University.

After many enquiries, and thanks to the diligent efforts of the Faculty's Personnel and Projects Officer, Adam Cooley, the cup was eventually found in the archives of the Old Schools, the traditional seat of the University's central administration. It is in excellent condition and will now be re-housed in the Faculty of Modern and Medieval Languages on the Sidgwick Site.

Latest News

Thomas Mann Essay Prize

11 December 2020

The German and Dutch Section is very pleased to announce another success in an essay competition for one of our doctoral students. Congratulations to Francesco Albé, who has been awarded the Thomas Mann Essay Prize by the English Goethe Society for his essay, ‘Choreographies of (Dis)order: Dance and Same-Sex Desire in...

Applying to Cambridge

Information for prospective applicants thinking of studying German at Cambridge.

Find out more

Cambridge Online German for Schools

Cambridge Online German for Schools (COGS) is a core element of the Cambridge German Network

Find out more

Let's be friends