skip to content

Year Abroad

Faculty of Modern and Medieval Languages and Linguistics



Bridge over the River Tagus at night, illuminated

All students will remain personally responsible for all travel and living expenses during their Year Abroad, regardless of whether they are studying, volunteering or undertaking work placements.

More details can be found on YA moodle page.

University Fees

Year Abroad students pay 15% of the University Composition Fee via their College. (This policy is determined by the central government and is beyond the control of the University.) Overseas MMLL students are required to pay fees at 50% of the overseas rate during their Year Abroad. Details please see Undergraduate Study Tuition fees.

Student Loans

Depending on personal circumstances, Year Abroad students are normally eligible for a Student Loan and it may also be possible to apply for an additional loan. Eligible students can apply for funding support from Student Finance. Remember to keep all your Year Abroad receipts in case you are eligible to apply for a Student Finance Travel Grant.

The Faculty cannot help with normal travelling, visa or living expenses. 

What will I have to pay?

  • If you are a home student you will pay a tuition fee contribution to Cambridge. For 2021-22 this is 15% (£1385)
  • If you are an overseas student you will pay 50% of the university fee to Cambridge
  • You will not pay any tuition fees to your host institution but you will have to pay your living costs and any small fees that the institution charges their home students (insurance, university card, travel pass etc)
  • Relevant visa application fees
  • You will be eligible to apply for tuition fee and maintenance loans during your year abroad.

Funding resources

**Please check your eligibility and placement type before applying for Travel Grants.

Useful websites