skip to content

Year Abroad

Faculty of Modern and Medieval Languages and Linguistics


Safety and insurance

Audience Member

Personal safety

Live Life Safe

Studying abroad with a disability

University Counselling Service

Useful Article -

Other useful resources


University Travel Insurance

MMLL and AMES students traveling abroad now MUST take out free University Travel Insurance. Please refer to the University's Travel Insurance webpage for further information and guidance. Students should submit risk assessment first before applying for University Travel Insurance.

A few points to highlight:

  1. The University Insurance team is responsible for the working of this scheme. Any inquiries should therefore be addressed to them at
  2. A reminder that the Insurers adopt the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO)'s own definition of ‘essential travel’ as any travel that individuals deem essential for professional or personal reasons. Therefore an ‘amber’ warning to the effect that the FCDO is advising against all ’non-essential’ travel to a destination should not necessarily prevent you from travelling. You will still be covered by insurance even where an amber warning is in place. 
  3. In common with the vast majority of affordable policies, the University scheme does not cover Covid-related disruption (e.g. repatriation of belongings, etc.). It does cover in-country medical costs for Covid treatment.

UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)

All students in Europe should carry a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). A GHIC gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in the European Union. You must provide placement details of your YA placements and the YA Office can supply the proof required on request only when your placement has been approved.