skip to content

Visitors and Erasmus


Visiting Students at the Faculty of Modern & Medieval Languages and Linguistics

Erasmus students

For students wishing to come to Cambridge as part of the Erasmus Exchange Programme, please visit the dedicated page on the International Student Office website.

Visiting students

A student visitor is defined as a student who is registered for a degree at another institution and who attends Cambridge for a short period of supervised research.


As a visiting student, you will be able to conduct research under the supervision of an appointed academic. You will be able to use the facilities in MMLL Graduate Centre (desk space and computer facilities), the CALL (Computer-Assisted Language Learning) facility, the Faculty and University libraries, and join in the life of the relevant Section and the Faculty. It is often possible to attend certain lectures and seminars, although it should be noted that attendance would normally require the permission of the lecturer concerned.


There is a charge of £500 per term, or £2000 for a period of twelve months.

To Apply

If you would like to apply for Visiting Student Status for a period of 12 months or less, you should complete an application form giving a short outline of the proposed research you wish to carry out in Cambridge and return the form to the Secretary of the relevant Section.

Your application will be considered by a potential supervisor and the Director of the relevant Section within the Faculty, and will then require further approval by the Faculty's Graduate Studies Committee.

You will not normally be permitted to study for more than one year without applying for a formal qualification via the central Graduate Admissions Office.

Language Requirements

Non-native English speakers are generally expected to meet the University’s standard English language requirements.

  • IELTS (academic): total score of 7.5, with a minimum of 7 in each element
  • TOEFL (IBT): total score of 110, with a minimum of 25 in each element plus an assessment by the University's Language Centre

Applicants should provide a copy of their English test along with their application form. Tests are only valid if taken within 2 years of the requested start date at Cambridge. 

MMLL requirements as to whether a language test is needed or not match the requirements of the central Graduate Admissions Office.  Please see the 'Will I have a Language Requirement?' tool on the Graduate Admissions website to determine if you need to take a language test.  Please note that the the tool will confirm whether or not you need to take a language test; please disregard any other information on the central webpage as it is relevant to applicants applying as 'full' students).

Language waivers may, on occasion, be made at the discretion of the Director of Section. Normally waivers would only be considered for those coming to conduct their research in their native language, and particularly where the relevant supervisor is fluent in that same language. Waivers are generally not given by the Section of Theoretical and Applied Linguistics. Further, please note that waivers are not permitted for applicants who are entering the UK under the Tier 4 or Student Visitor Route, due to Home Office requirements. 

Visa requirements

Nationals of countries within the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland do not require a visa to study in the UK. All non-EEA nationals require a visa to undertake study in the UK.

Full time visiting students coming for six months or less should obtain a short term study visa. Students must not enter the UK on a general visitor visa for the purpose of attending as a visiting student.

For visits greater than six months, students must be sponsored by the University for a Tier 4 visa and the immigration requirements of this route would need to be met before the visit can be confirmed.

If your application for visiting student status is approved, the Postgraduate Office will contact you regarding visa requirements, if required. In the meantime, please refer to the following webpages for information: 

College membership

College membership is not normally offered to Visiting Students who are coming for a duration of one year or less.  


The Faculty is unable to provide accommodation. Colleges may provide accommodation or help in finding accommodation. Please note that at peak times e.g. October there may be a shortage of College accommodation. 

More information about finding accommodation in Cambridge can be found on the Accommodation Service webpages.