skip to content

Current undergraduates

Faculty of Modern and Medieval Languages and Linguistics


Student Welfare

Student Welfare

Support within the University

Faculty Disability Officer

The Faculty's Disability Officer is partly responsible for making sure adjustments are made within the faculty, particularly for lectures, seminars, oral exams, and postgraduate assessments. They are happy to talk with you and discuss what the faculty can do to help you with any issues regarding your physical or mental health, whether or not you have an SSD, whether you are an undergraduate student in any year, an undergraduate student on your year abroad, an MPhil student, or a PhD student.

Please feel free to get in touch even if you would just like to know what the faculty can do to help you with your physical and mental health, or if you have any suggestions or feedback with what the faculty current does.

The current Disability Officer is:

Sam Oliver
Mon-Thu, 08:00-16:00; Fri, 08:00-15:00
Raised Faculty Building Room 102

The University Counselling Service

The University Counselling Service runs group workshops for all students.

Subjects include:

  • Understanding & managing your anxiety
  • Self-compassion
  • Surviving Cambridge - a workshop for Masters and PGCE students.
  • Perfectionism v. Healthy Striving
  • Understanding and managing panic attacks

Follow this link to book a place and to read more about each course:

If you feel you need one to one counselling support then you can self-refer to the Counselling Service. Information on making an appointment is available here:

Other sources of support within the University

  • The College Porters' Lodge - you should have received the contact details when you started
  • Your College Welfare Team - this may include a counsellor if your College has one
  • College Nurse who may also be part of the College Welfare Team
  • College Tutorial Office - if you have a query about exam arrangements for example
  • Your College Tutor
  • Students' Unions' Advice Service:
  • The Disability Resource Centre:

We also advise that you familiarise yourself with what to do in a mental health emergency. The University Counselling Service has information on its website: